Please enable javascript, or click here to visit my ecommerce web site powered by Shopify.

Community Forum > No Network Connectivity After Motherboard Replacement

We had to replace the motherboard in our Quantastor server due to hardware failure and everything is working except it no longer has network connectivity. I can see the two NICs in the qs tp-list as eth5 and eth6 whereas formerly it was eth1. The state on eth5/eth6 is unknown and if I try to enable them I get an error that the IP address is invalid, but I'm unable to enable them. The devices do not show up in infconfig, but dmesg shows that eth0/eth1 have been renamed to eth5/eth6 respectively. Any ideas for getting the network connected again?

July 24, 2017 | Registered CommenterJPWGC

You'll want to delete this file /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and then reboot and that will reorder the Ethernet port names starting with eth0 using the mac addresses of the new card(s). Alternatively you can edit the file to remove the lines for just the NICs that have been removed and assign the eth ports manually but typically it is easiest to just remove the file and reboot.

Actually, best to move the file to ~ so you can see the before and after as the file is generated automatically when the system boots up. Right now the old names like eth0, eth1, etc are all pinned to specific mac addresses so the new ports are given new names like eth5/eth6.

July 24, 2017 | Registered CommenterSteve

Thank you Steve, I was able to modify the rules file by changing the names and then activate the rules by running these commands without reboot and it is working now.

sudo udevadm control --reload
sudo udevadm trigger --action=add

July 24, 2017 | Registered CommenterJPWGC