Please enable javascript, or click here to visit my ecommerce web site powered by Shopify.

Community Forum > Mounting on Windows

I had a customer ask about the largest sized drive that could be mounted on a Windows machine. The question really is - is there a limit to the size of the storage pool that can be assigned a single drive letter? There are all sorts of documents on Windows file storage limitations, but I assume those don't apply when you are using a SAN that is doing its own storage management. Is that correct? (Yes, I'm new at this.)

July 15, 2016 | Registered CommenterKevin Gilhooly

Hello Kevin,

QuantaStor can present LUNs of any size that the client can accept. Storage Volumes presented via iSCSI of FC from our ZFS based Storage Pools can be created at any size as they are always thin provisioned due to the copy-on write allocation and write/modify method of the ZFS filesystem. You will want to ensure that your Storage Pool is made up of enough physical capacity to store the data blocks for the physical capacity used for the data in the STorage Volume.

For Windows, there are various limits based on the allocation size that a NTFS or other filesystem can be formatted on a Block device, this limits how large a drive in windows can be, even if the 'drive' is really just a logical partition formatted in NTFS on a block device presented from QuantaStor.

Microsoft has various articles about the allocation size limits for how large a Filesystem can beon their website:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/140365

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Chris Golden
OSNEXUS Support

July 15, 2016 | Registered CommenterChris Golden