Please enable javascript, or click here to visit my ecommerce web site powered by Shopify.

Community Forum > Quantastor v 3.16.5.9489, goes offline after 12-24hrs when using Fibre Channel

Hello Everyone,

After switching over to FC in my Quantastor, it now is going offline every 12 to 24 hrs. The unit is completely locked up and I have to reboot both the Quantastor and the esx host to get the LUN's back. An interesting fact is when using iSCSI the unit ran rock solid no issues what so ever. The good thing is this is only my home lab, but when I am trying to demo or do anything testing this has become a major problem.

Before adding the FC cards in I went to qlogic site pulled down the lastest firmware/boot code and updated the cards.

QLE2462
BIOS version 3.29
Fcode version 3.23
Firmware version 8.01.02

So there any logs I should be looking at to try and pin point the issue. Or should I down grade the FW on the FC card?

January 16, 2016 | Registered CommenterJordan W

To follow this up farther, when I logged into the console I am seeing the below message

[5557.080197] rport-0:0-0: bloacked FC remote port time out: removing rport
[5695.769955] qla2xxx [0000:01:00.0-505f:0 Link is operational (4Gbps)

Since the system is locked up I can't look at any logs. But I am wondering is this a loop -reset command be sent casing the system to go offline?

January 16, 2016 | Registered CommenterJordan W

Hello Jordan,

We typically recommend using the latest firmware from QLogic and have not heard of any reports of difficulty with the version you are running.

Wen have customers using Qlogic QLE2462 4Gb in the field who have not reported any behavior like this.

Have you performed basic hardware Diagnostics?

QLogic provides hardware diagnostic utilities for Windows that can be used to verify the card is good, have you run those utilities?

Have you tried using a different card of the same Model?

Have you verified that there are no problems with your motherboard or PCI-E slots?

Does you server have any integrated Lights out Management where you can check for hardware level errors that may not appear to the OS?

Thank You,
Chris Golden
OSNEXUS

January 16, 2016 | Registered CommenterChris Golden

Hello Chris,

Thank for the reply to my post.

Currently I have swapped in different cards to the ESX host, but not the QUANTASTOR yet. I do have some spare cards I can swap into the QUANTASTOR. I will go ahead and do that in the next day or two.

Also I have some screenshot of the console of the QUANTASTOR with the error messages. It seems the FC ports are timing out. If you want to share that with you I would be happy to.

PCI-E slot doesn't have any issues, no hardware reported issues. iLO access is very limited so not able to get to much information from there.

When using iSCSI I do not see this issue at all. The timeouts only happen when read/writing to the FC.

Thank you,
Jordan

January 18, 2016 | Registered CommenterJordan W