Please enable javascript, or click here to visit my ecommerce web site powered by Shopify.

Community Forum > Integrating hardware monitoring support (DRAC/ILO/IPMI)?

Hi there!
Is there any "hits" on how to better integrate the hardware monitoring of the host machine in the QuantaStor system?
Right now the QuantaStor system is handling all such events from storage subsystems (supported RAID controllers, FC, IB etc).
When deploying QuantaStor on "bare metal" it's necessary to add HW monitoring of the host server (temperature warnings, fans, memory, power supplies etc etc).
Various vendors have their own well developed "base systems" (HP insight agents/ILO, Dell DRAC, IBM etc) and the generic IPMI.

What I'm asking is if there is any racomended procedures to "integrate" such "hardware monitoring" system in the QuantaStor system? Something like "inject" hardware status/events to QuantaStor system to be handled (alarms, notifications, acknowledgements..)
A very nice feature would also be to have some kind of "hardware status" information dialog shown in the GUI under Hardware or something.

Any suggestions?

Best regards,

June 30, 2015 | Registered CommenterM.Culibrk

Hi Culibrk,
Yes, we're working on adding some nice dashboards to QuantaStor v3.17 which will be out right before the holidays. But more to your point, yes, you can raise an alert message using the cli like so:

qs alert-raise --message="hello world" --alert-severity=info

This will use the configured alert mechanisms (snmp, pagerduty, email, etc) to send you the message. So you could write a script to monitor anything via a cron job and then have it notify you using the built-in alerting system. One thing though, when you generate an alert using that command I think it has 'Custom Test Alert' or something in the message title. We'll fix that so you can set the title, should be in 3.16 which is due out in just a couple weeks.
Thanks for the feedback!
Best,
-Steve

August 26, 2015 | Registered CommenterSteve